21 Day Fix

3 Day Refresh

Sunday, December 14, 2014

6 Things I Wish I Knew Before I Hit 30

I had often times, in my youth, looked at 30 as officially being "old". By this point you are supposed to have settled down in a career, have the house, the kids, the dog, the car, etc. etc. etc. so with that standard in my mind, the clock striking 12:00am on December 11, 2014 just drained me. I literally sat and stared. There was nothing else I could do. My 20's were over.

I woke up today still feeling off. My 20's were over - holy crap - they were over! Where did they go?! That's it!? Gone?! Just like that?! And then the thoughts started to flood in - did I do enough? Did I have enough fun? Am I where I thought I would be? The answer to all of those questions is No - Not at all.

This isn't a post about regret, but it's a post in hopes that where I went wrong, you can go right. We all lead our own life journey and I'll be honest, NOW, I wouldn't change anything that I didn't do or did do in the past because of the amazing lessons learned, personal growth, and journey that it has taken me on. I am who I am today because of where I may have screwed up in the past - but those instances have also weighed heavily on my mind and I've often thought about what I would do different NOW than I did before.

So here are my "Live-By 6". The 6 areas that I feel can make the biggest impact on your life and getting you to the big 3-0 in the most happy and healthy way:

6. Eat well, workout often: The metabolism you have WILL slow down. Let me repeat this - A Big Mac will matter someday. And when you hear people say "That goes straight to my thighs", it really does. Not to mention, just wait until you become more health conscious and start reading what's REALLY in your food - scary stuff. Get yourself on a consistent workout routine now while you are young and life hasn't fully "happened" yet. Why? It will keep your metabolism in check so maybe when you are 30 things won't "go straight to your thighs" OR you will have the knowledge already in hand on how to eat clean and live healthy and you probably won't even notice the metabolism starting to decline! I don't care who you are - this is going to happen.

5. Don't be afraid to be a little weird: The majority of my life has been about pleasing others. It's in my nature and it's a great quality to have UNTIL it gets to the point where you don't even know WHO you are anymore because you are trying to be everything to everybody. Be a little weird. Stand out. March to the beat of your own drum. It's only been the past 2 years that I have been brave enough to be a little weird..and life is so much more fun when you are just comfortable being who you are with no apologies--not even if people stare.

4. Never do something because its what your significant other is doing: Please Lord just don't. Just don't. I repeat - just don't do this. I know. You are young "But we are in love" "We are going to get married 'someday'". "This will all be worth it." I hope so. Because if it isn't I can assure you, you will look back and say, "Gosh I wish I would have done xyz". Take it from someone who has permitted many an ex boyfriend to dictate what they were doing, where they were going, etc. Get with someone who allows you to be you, who allows you to follow your dreams - even if that means creating some choppiness and areas of change within the relationship. The right person- no matter how crazy the idea, big the dream, or inconvenient the situation- is always going to think the sun shines out of your ass.

3. Live your life to YOUR version of the fullest - not someone else's:  Please, please, please, don't let people talk you out of what you want to do. They might be right - that's the truth- but just screw up on your own, clean it up on your own, and learn from it on your own. You'll figure it out. I have faith in you. You wanna dance in the rain - go freakin' dance in the rain - and do a spin for me. You want to wear crazyass wings in public to express yourself - do that too. Because you know what? Usually those that are staring are the ones that have something deep down that they wish they could express but don't have the balls to do it. Be the one with the balls to be bold.

2. Be okay with not being perfect: I'm fairly confident that 90% of the people who will read this know that they aren't perfect. I'm also pretty confident that about 60% of you are too afraid to show that to the world. Take constructive criticism and use it to your advantage. If you walk like a duck, quack like a duck, and look like a duck - you're probably a duck. If multiple people are noticing a problem and telling you about it - you probably have the problem. Take it as as symbol of love from those individuals and actively work on any character flaws you may be developing or putting out to others. It's okay to admit you aren't perfect in all areas of life, but it's not okay to ignore the fact and do nothing about it.

1. If the ball is rolling in the wrong direction -STOP IT.: My biggest, my number 1, my never-go-against-this-rule-ever rule: If you feel off about something, if something isn't jiving with you, no matter how big or how fast the ball is rolling, figure out a way to stop it. Let me tell you from experience, you might feel awkward or bad by diverting the ball away from what others were hoping and dreaming for you but you will hurt a lot less people in the end by getting it to stop. No matter what people say - trust your gut. Do what you need to do. But don't allow it to keep rolling and take others out along its scary path. It's not worth it.

Hopefully you could see the general theme in all of this which is to be yourself, love yourself, and trust yourself. You only get one life to live and it is YOURS. YOU decide what makes you happy, where your life goes, etc. No one else. If you do you, and you pick up like-minded people along the way, you will begin to see what LIVING is really about.



No comments:

Post a Comment